Thursday, April 17, 2008

Need someone to talk to?

Most people can't stand telemarketers. Let alone think of BEING a telemarketer.
I'm actual pretty good at it and like doing it.
At this time in my life, I'm not selling anything over the phone, I'm simply calling to remind people to do something. Which cost them money. So most of my calls are short and sweet. (See these people know why I'm calling and what to give us money.) Rarely do I get someone that's rude or unhappy with us.
Since the service I offer deals a lot with older people, I find out that the spouse is no longer living. This brings me to one of my last phone calls of the day.

after 30 to 35 straight phone calls and lunch time creeping up, I was ready to speed past my calls and get back to reading my book.

I dial. It rings. rings. rings again, then...Hello?
after stating who I was and why I was calling The voice said...
"Thanks for calling,but I wouldn't be needing that this year. My husband pasted away 10 months ago. And I'm stuck here between a river and a mountain. I'm 89 and don't drive anymore."
I say I'm very sorry to hear about your husband and thank her for her time.
She said..."I don't get may calls. Maybe once a week or so. I'm sorry.I just miss talking to someone."
After telling her I'd talk to with her all day if she wanted to, She asked my name and where I was from.

We talked for 20 Min's about Her kids and grand kids, my family, work and the weather. It was nice. comfortable not forced.

I hope it blighted her day, It did mine.

2 comments:

saffire said...

How sweet! Made me want to go rescue the lady. What do you do telemarketing wise? I thought you were a fur girl these days. Your garden is gorgeous, as well as your (kid:)) I have a 15 yr. old cat that still acts like a kitten. Took that after me instead of her Daddy :) You are a busy lady. Started to try your pork chop recipe' but already had chicken thawed for dumplings. Got hungry mouths a waiting so better get with it. Hope to see you and Bert soon. ttyl.. saffire

beastmaster said...

I was wondering the samething.

What DO YOU do telemarketing?

Who you callin?

I know you call to say thank you to the ones that buy furs but are you working for donations as well? LOL

Love you